Home Site – Nelson County
Located across Goose Creek from the site of Midway Mill, stands the Simpson House. To locate the Simpson House, proceed one mile northeast from Wingina in Nelson County, Virginia on Route 626 and 0.07 mile east on Route 743.
Simpson House is a late nineteenth century “T” shaped home on a brick basement with a three-bay façade and center bay projections. The frame house with a gable roof is built on a stone foundation and has three chimneys. A plain transom light is over the entrance and there are sidelights beside the four-paneled door. The one-story porch has plain square columns with a baluster around the porch. The house consists of 10 rooms plus four rooms in the cellar.
Timeline of Simpson House Ownership
- In 1937, Emma Simpson Robinson (1880-1963) resided at the Simpson House. She was the widow of C. Cabell Robinson, who was the great, great grandson of John Cabell. They had lived at Colleton and both Emma and Cabell Robinson are buried at Soldier’s Joy.