Home Site – Nelson County, Virginia
Blue Rock was built on the land William Cabell, Sr. acquired as part of the Union Hill estate. It is about 15 miles west of the Union Hill estate. The house address is 433 Blue Rock Lane, Roseland, Virginia.
The original 22 room house, which was built around 1816, burned in the 1870’s-1880’s. Another home was built shortly after the fire slightly behind the original site. The Victorian house incorporated Dr. Massie’s office and the well and cooling room. The current house is a frame 2 ½ story home with a two-story rear ell.
Timeline of Blue Rock Ownership
- 1816 :Thomas Massie and Sarah Carrington Cabell (1795-1831). Sarah was the daughter of Anne Carrington & Col. William Cabell, Jr.
Photos courtesy of Archer Minardi