Cabell Family Graveyards
One of the purposes of The Cabell Family Society is the preservation and maintenance of select family graveyards situated in the original land holdings of the Cabell family in Nelson County, Virginia.
Some of the graveyards date to the middle 1700s, and the condition of individual graves varies widely. All of the graveyards are located primarily in Nelson, Buckingham and Amherst counties on private property. Access to graveyards is very limited. An index to burials at family graveyards can be found here. Visit the Cabell Homes page for detailed information on properties and their locations.
The graveyard at Liberty Hall was deeded to the Society in 1957, as was the graveyard at Union Hill in 1961, with rights of egress and maintenance. More information on these and other family graveyard locations can be found in the links in the sidebar.
The body of information related to the Cabell Family graveyards comes from Family Graveyards by Randolph W. Cabell and and Cabell Family Graveyards by Archer Guy Minardi published in 2008 and has been maintained since the 1990’s by Archer Minardi and provided in the publication “Cabell Family Homes”. Without the assistance of so many Cabell Family Society members and property owners this information could not be possible. Their support and cooperation has been invaluable.
The following works were used as resources for the information on Cabell Graveyards contained here on this website.
- Brown, Alexander. The Cabells and their Kin: A Memorial Volume of History, Biography, and Genealogy. Richmond, Va.: Garrett and Massie, Inc., 1939. First published 1895.
- Tucker, Linwood Grafton III and Cabell, Randolph W. “A Guide to Cabell Graveyards in ‘Cabell Country’, Nelson County, Virginia.”
- Cabell, Randolph W. “Family Graveyards” Updated July 2, 2003.
- Cabell, Randolph W. 20th Century Cabells and their Kin. Franklin, NC.: Genealogy Pub. Service, 1993.
- Minardi, Archer Guy. “Early Cabell Family Graveyards. Primarily in Nelson, Buckingham & Amherst Counties, Virginia.” Revised 2022.
- Moore, William Cabell Dr. “The Graves at Edgewood In Nelson County, VA” and “The Old Cabell Graveyard at Liberty Hall“. 1957.
- “WPA” Historical Inventory Project. 1936-37.
- Cemeteries of Nelson County Virginia. Nelson County Historical Society, Nelson County, Virginia. Bicentennial Publication, 2007.
- Gravestone Inscriptions in Amherst County. Amherst County Museum & Historical Society, Amherst, Virginia, 1999.
- Lancaster, Robert A. Historic Virginia Homes & Churches. J.P. Lippincott Company, 1915.
If you have questions or comments about the family graveyards, please contact us via email.