Site icon The Cabell Family Society, Inc.

Mountain View

More information at the Virginia Department of Historic Resources here
Mountain View, 2008. Photo courtesy of Archer Minardi.

Home Site – Nelson County, Virginia

The house is located on the property of Rebec Vineyard on US 29 and north of Route 610 near Clifford in Amherst County, Virginia.

Mountain View stands on land originally patented by the Reverend Robert Rose (1704-1751). His son, Col. Hugh Rose (1743-1797), later lived on part of his father’s patent at Geddes Plantation, which included what was to become Mountain View.

According to a codicil to the 1794 will of Hugh Rose, a house was standing on what was to become the Mountain View property at that time. In 1798 William Spencer bought the property from Hugh Rose’s daughter, and reportedly named it Spencer’s Plantation. The house originally stood on the east side of a small nearby peak known variously as Spencer’s Mountain or Rose’s Mountain.

Site Plan of Mountain View, Amherst County Historical Society

In the early 1830’s, a new stagecoach road was built through the area, and the house supposedly was moved to its present location to be more convenient to this road.


Very few changes have been made to the main house or the outbuildings. “The main house is two-story clapboard, mortised and pegged timber structure.” There is a central hall and two parlors and two chimneys. Behind the main section of the house is a one-story section consisting of the dining room, kitchen and screened porch. The front porch was added during the second half of the nineteenth century. “The original flooring of the entire main house is heart of pine. The plaster walls are trimmed with simple moldings including flat chair rails and baseboards.  The south first floor room and the addition have more elaborate Greek Revival mantels and trim. The details in the hallway and the north room are typical of the federal period. The fireplace in the north room has an elaborate molding consisting of a frieze with reeded end tryglyphs and plain metopes.”

“A remarkable ensemble” of largely unaltered outbuildings are thought to have been built by Dr. Paul C. Cabell in the 1830s and 1840s. These include a doctor’s office, well house, smokehouse, log carriage/icehouse and two chicken coops.

Photos courtesy of Archer Minardi, 2008

Dr. Cabell, a “pioneer in the field of public health in Central Virginia” built the rare one-room doctor’s office. “It is a gabled structure with a lean-to-section on the north side.  Underneath the main office is a root cellar that has an earthen floor and fieldstone walls.”

Dr. Paul Carrington’s office. Photo courtesy of Archer Minardi, 2008

Timeline of Mountain View Ownership

Exit mobile version