Site icon The Cabell Family Society, Inc.

Montevideo (Repton)

Home Site – Buckingham County, Virginia

Located in an area formerly known as Hardwicksville, Virginia, near the intersection of Routes 604 & 749. The site of Montevideo is located on the James River about 9 miles northwest of Buckingham Courthouse.  (From the Courthouse, take Route 60 west, Route 56 northwest, then Route 604 (or 602 or 601) north, and it should be on the east side of the road.)

Architecture

In Mutual Assurance Policies of 1809 and 1812, the dwelling house stood just south of the James River, and was described as a two-story wooden home with large porch facing north toward the river, another with a balcony on the southern side of the house, and a smaller one on the west side.  It was 45 x 54 feet with a wood shingle roof and a brick cellar throughout.  Outbuildings, none of which stood within 30 feet of the house, included a 38 x 38 ft. one-story wooden barn with sheds on both ends.

There was a log cabin on each side of the house along with other buildings on the property. There were two wells lined with round rock about eight inches in diameter. After the house burned, glass, marble and brick were cleaned up and hauled to the nearby woods.

A W.P.A. form in the 1930’s said that it was supposed to have been ‘a lovely home…one of the finest in the country’ with numerous glass windows on the side overlooking the river.

Timeline of Montevideo Ownership

Additional Photos

Montevideo Overseer’s House, 1936 (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Cabell Guy Richardson)
Montevideo Site, 2007 (Photo courtesy of Archer Minardi)
Exit mobile version