The Cabell Family Society, Inc. 
A Virginia Memorial and Genealogical Association

Union Hill

 

Union Hill was constructed by Dr. William Cabell's son, Colonel William Cabell, Sr. (1730-1798), starting in 1775 and ending four years later. The house was called Union Hill to reflect the importance of the union of colonies that formed a new country.

 

Building supplies were scarce during the American Revolution, so much of the house was constructed from materials at the site. Beams and boards were cut from heart of oak, pine, poplar, and walnut trees on the property. Bricks, nails, and spikes were all made locally.

 

Union Hill contained a substantial number of outbuildings, including a spinning and weaving house, sewing room and laundry, a storeroom for fruits and vegetables, picking house, dyeing house, smokehouse, kitchen, coach house, ice house, barns, stables, cow houses, a chicken house, dwellings for servants, slaves, and craftsmen, shops for a cobbler, blacksmith, cooper, wheelwright, and mason, a tannery, distillery, gristmill, corn house, tobacco house, and dairy.

 

Alexander Brown, author of "The Cabells and Their Kin", bought Union Hill in 1873. The home was sold in 1969 to the Bass Construction Company of Richmond, and was then purchased in 1980 by Mr. and Mrs. Royal E. Cabell, Jr. and moved to Goochland County.

 

The graveyard contains 41 known graves, including:

  • Col. William Cabell and his wife, Margaret Jordan
  • Patrick Henry, Jr.
  • Mayo Cabell and his wife, Caroline Anthony
  • Alexander Brown
  • Lucy Gilmore Cabell

 

Sources:

  • 18th and 19th Century Cabell Family Homes in Nelson, Buckingham, and Amherst Counties, Virginia, by Archer Guy Minardi, August 2002.
  • An Index to The Cabell Cemeteries, prepared by Randolph Wall Cabell and Caroline Cabell Tucker, March 1991.