The Cabell Family Society, Inc. 
A Virginia Memorial and Genealogical Association

Liberty Hall

 

The Liberty Hall graveyard is located on what was Liberty Hall farm on the James River. Liberty Hall was constructed around 1742 by Dr. William Cabell and was originally known as Swan Creek Plantation. The house was part of the town of Warminster, which contained a mill, houses, a store, a depot and a warehouse. The town has since disappeared from Virginia maps but it was close to the present town of Howardsville.

 

Upon William's death in 1774, Nicholas Cabell inherited the house and made substantial changes to the structure. He renamed the house Liberty Hall during the American Revolution as an expression of patriotism.

 

The graveyard is surrounded by a stout iron fence which was erected in the early 1900's by Joseph Hartwell Cabell. The graves of William Cabell and his wife Elizabeth are marked by a marble monument erected by their grandson, Joseph Carrington Cabell, who lived nearby at Edgewood. The monument was placed near a large elm tree, which was taken down in 1955 to prevent damage to the fence and gravestones. William Cabell's birthdate and his age were incorrectly inscribed on the original monument, but they were corrected in 1955.

 

The graveyard at Liberty Hall contains 22 known graves, including those of:

  • Dr. William Cabell and his wife, Elizabeth Burks Cabell
  • Colonel Nicholas Cabell
  • Hannah Carrington Cabell

 

Sources:

  • 18th and 19th Century Cabell Family Homes in Nelson, Buckingham, and Amherst Counties, Virginia, by Archer Guy Minardi, August 2002.
  • An Index to The Cabell Cemeteries, prepared by Randolph Wall Cabell and Caroline Cabell Tucker, March 1991.
  • The Old Cabell Graveyard at Liberty Hall, written by William Cabell Moore.